12 Feb Youth Worker (Development & Delivery) – Job Listing
Increasing numbers of rangatahi (young people) are accessing digital technology. With the new digital curriculum being rolled out to schools starting in 2020, young people are expected more than ever before to navigate digital spaces with ease.
The reality is however, schools, teachers and whānau to date have been ill equipped to support and guide young people in these spaces because until now they have been mostly hidden behind social media platforms, devices and video games.
Equally young people have been for the most part left to work out how to keep themselves safe. While there are some amazing resources and initiatives available there are few programmes available and none directly focused on one critical issue which has arisen, digital wellbeing. Digital Natives Academy is seeking to fill this gap and help develop a collaborative space to develop, deliver and iterate on this innovative programme.
Digital wellbeing is a relatively new term, which has emerged out of our increasingly digital lives. Digital wellbeing is about having a deeper understanding of how “being” online influences the way we feel about ourselves and how our own behaviour impacts others in online spaces as well as the real world.
If you are interested in applying for the following job please click on the link below to our application form and attach your Cover Letter and CV.
Youth Worker (Development & Delivery)
Applications close 24 Feb 2020.
Are you easy-going, fun and good at making people feel welcome? Are you interested in esports and social media? Do you like to innovate and create? Can you organise and make things happen? Are you interested in digital spaces, esports, online gaming and social media? Do you have experience working with young people aged 10-18 and up to 24 years old? If so, then you could be the person we are looking for to join our dynamic team at Digital Natives Academy in Rotorua, New Zealand.
You will be responsible for helping our team develop and design DNA’s new Digital Wellbeing Programme in collaboration with key partners, DNA’s founders, DNA’s Digital Wellbeing Team, Riot Games and deliver it to key stakeholders (young people, whānau, caregivers, teachers, schools, marae and community groups).
The programme consists of the following workshops:
- 9-12 yrs (coached by teachers/parents) – Sportsmanship (Minecraft)
- 13+ yrs (coached by teachers/parents) – Sportsmanship (Learn with League)
- 9-12 yrs – Wellbeing, social media, staying safe online
- 13+ yrs – Wellbeing, social media, staying safe online
- Parents/Teachers/Adults – Wellbeing, competitive gaming/esports, social media, staying safe online
This is a dynamic and wide-ranging position, and some of your key responsibilities will include the following:
- Ideally you will be experienced in working and mentoring youth in a one to one capacity, as well as, delivering outcomes-based programmes for young people
- You will have excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and a high level of computer literacy, self-management and personal integrity
- Preference will be given to those who have strong leadership skills, proven experience in working with youth, a relevant qualification, esports experience and show a commitment to working for a 48 weeks
- A current full clean New Zealand driver’s license is essential, and applicants must be legally entitled to work in NZ.
- Must be willing to be based in Rotorua
- Experience in multi-disciplinary projects and mentoring others
- Experience pitching, presenting to diverse groups including Māori
- Experience developing and delivering programmes/projects with young people
Your background should include project coordination experience, and the ability to demonstrate the following:
- Familiarity with project and programme methodologies and practices
- Experience drafting and consolidating high quality programme reporting
- Experience working within a Kaupapa Māori space
- Experience working with teachers, schools, marae, hapū
- Experience in education and or mental health and/or social services
- Experience with online gaming, esports, social media